Monday, May 12, 2008

a reluctant image


I must admit, it's kinda funny being involved in a show about process when I'm also a little reluctant to reveal my own working method. Who wants to reveal their magic tricks? Or dirty laundry?
I have artistic dirty laundry. A pile of it: In the corner of my studio covered so no-one can see it - all the experiments that didn't work: paper aeroplanes that didn't fly, spinning tops that didn't spin, images that fell flat etc. 
For me, I consider the process of making an artwork only in relation to moving towards a finish. Not that I'm anti-process, far from it (I have exhibited a number of projects where a reflection upon process was integral to the work, such as the "Loose Ends" collaborations with Nick Mangan shown at RMIT Project Space/Spare Room in 2007) it's just that I consider the art-making process a way of eventually settling at a point where the artwork can communicate and resonate without me. In other words, what I aim for is a point where I leave the room and the work exists without me and my often misguided aims for its life. I want Frankenstein to develop a mind of its own, without the burden of dwelling too long on how it came to be (I certainly don't!).

the process-oriented relationship I am interested in is not so much artist to audience as artwork to audience.

No comments: